This Steampunked-mp3-player "Junophon" is my latest instructables project which I'd like to present to you. And it is the first project where I "upcycled " lots of parts of a former projcet of mine too.
Everything started with an new small window frame which was thrown to the firewood at a carpenters manufactory. Only some parts had'nt been good enaugh so it seemed to be the and of this work. But I pickes it up and started to create a project.
The idea of a portable stylish steampunked mp3-player came to my mind but after a while I had to realize, that the first chosen parts really doesn't fit togehter. So this frame was "thrown away" for a second time. No, no, no! Not really hrown away. I've just put the parts aside for some months. But some day ago I found an old and very stylish Ampere-meter and this project was relaunched.
Important: The needle of the ampere-meter is exactly dancing with the rythm of the played music. The movie doesn't show this detail, I am really sorry about it. Try it by yourself and enjoy it;-)))
And I now want to present this project for a second time as a creators diary
Step 1: The old body gets a new face
First I took my hole saw and began with the adaption works. Half an hour later the new holes had been made and the A-meter and the speaker as well can be placed.
Step 2: Red fibre,copper-net and resin are the ingredients to the new look
It was really fantastic to see that all before drilled holes of the front plate can be used again in a new way.
Step 3: Wood works
As I already explained, the body had been created as a very small window frame made of massive mahogany.
So I just had to add a backside of massive mahogany too to get a soundboard for the speaker.
Step 4: Electronic equipment
As you can see I used a mp3 sound module which is very easy to build in. (See also my instructable steampunked talking book) It costs only about 9.50 Euros and produces a very good sound indeed.
Step 5: One detail at the end
All brass made screws are now at their places the sound check had been done successfully but one detail is still missing: A brass made cover for the main switch. Here you can see my solution. An this is the end of my first "self-upcycling project"
I hope you enjoyed my instructable.
Yours Aeon Junophor