DIY LED bulb with led strips at home with minimal materials and low cost.
Step 1: Materials:
1. smd 3528 led strip white(2.55m)= Rs.150/-
2. led strip adapter 12v 1A DC=Rs.50-80/-
3. An empty deodorant can
4. A dead cfl
5. Epoxy glue=Rs.30/-
7. Soldering kit
8. Razor blade
9. Enameled cooper wire of 20-30guage from an old transformer
10. Cellophane plastic
Step 2: Step 1:
1) Cut the led strips into small pieces of 10cm
2) Each piece will contain 6 smd leds
3) Number of such pieces required is 52
4) Cut the nozzle of the deodorant can and wash it and dry it.
5) Remove the adhesive cover from the back of the led and paste it to the empty deodrant can as shown in the picture with the resistor side towards the cut out portion of the can.
Step 3: Step 2:
1) Cut the enameled wire into small 2cm pieces
2) Remove the enamel from the copper with a razor blade
3) Solder the copper to the positive and negative points of the led strips such that all are parallel connected
4) Repeat these steps until all the strips are connected.
5) Prepare the epoxy glue and fix the joints firmly on to the can
Step 4: Step 3:
1) Solder the last positive and negative wires to the strip and to the output of the smps.
2) Roll a A4 size paper and insert into to can to provide protection against short circuit of smps
3) Solder the input wires from the smps to the mains point of the cfl cup
4) With the help of epoxy fix the can and the cfl cup
5) Wrap a sheet of cellophane plastic around the led and tape it at the bottom of the can
Step 5: Step 4:
Testing! Testing! Testing! Its brighter than a 15 Watt CFL bulb
Step 6: Some calculations n stuff!
Each smd 3528 white led consumes about 0.06watts (Google the datasheet)
Total no. of leds connected for this bulb is 156 and total power is 9.36watts.
The lumen rating for 1 led is 7-9lm therefore 153 leds will generate 1200lm approx.
Its SMPS power supply is so efficient that its output is same even if the mains voltage drops down to 90Volts!!! Believe me or not!!
Enjoy making this bulb at home!
The total cost will be around Rs.300 in India (about US $4 )
Some more bulbs that I made the same way lighting my home.....(Pics. above)