Learn to pull a tablecloth out from under a table setting for entertainment purposes. Anyone can pull off this simple trick. (Get it? pull it off) With a little bit of practice you can amaze your friends at your next dinner party.
***Before you attempt this trick, read through all of the directions. Pay close attention to step 7 and the troubleshooting tips. This trick takes practice. Do not expect to be successful on your first attempt. ***
Tablecloth (any size)
Heavy Dishes (plastic will minimize breakage, however they may be too light)
Heavy food that will not spill (canned food, fruit, etc.)
Step 1: Lay the tablecloth on the table
- The tablecloth should be placed on the table seam side down.
- Make sure there are no wrinkles
- The edge of the tablecloth should meet (be flush) with the edge of the table on the opposite side you will be pulling from.
- There should be a large length of tablecloth overhanging on the side of the table you will be pulling from.
Step 2: Set the Dishes on the Table
- Place the dishes on the opposite side of the table you will be pulling the tablecloth from.
- Begin with one plastic dish until you gain comfort with the movement. See step 7 and the troubleshooting tips for more advice.
Step 3: Weigh down the dishes
- The dishes need to be heavy to prevent movement. Place food items in the dishes to create more weight. (Fruit or cans)
Step 4: Positioning Yourself
- Center yourself in the middle of the table, opposite the side of the dishes.
Step 5: Hand Placement
- Hold the edge of the tablecloth with your hands shoulder width apart.
- Bunch or gather the tablecloth until your hands meet the table.
Step 6: Pull the Tablecloth
- Quickly pull the tablecloth straight down to the floor.
- As you pull straight down take a step back.
o Be sure to pull straight down
Step 7: Practice
- Begin by practicing with one plastic dishe to get the feel for the movement. Practice a few times. The trick will most likely not be successful until you use heavier dishes.
- As you get feel more confident you can place the dishes in the center of the table or add more dishes.
Step 8: Finish
- As you gain confidence you can flourish the tablecloth for dramatic effect.
Step 9: Troubleshooting/ Tips
- It is easier if you put the dishes near the top of the table opposite of you.
- Be sure when youíre pulling the tablecloth, pull straight down so the dishes donít slide off the table.
- If youíre having trouble with the dishes moving too much, put more food or cans in the dishes to weigh it down.
- The trick will take a while to completely master due to the fact that there is user error in the pulling technique.