So for halloween, my girlfriend wanted to be the Blue Spirit from Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's a pretty good outfit for halloween, as the costume incorporates fairly normal clothes, and only a few major props.
-Baggy black pants
-black long sleeve t shirt
- black shoes (kung fu shoes look really good if possible)
- dark fabric (preferably brown)
- plastic hockey mask
-thin wood plank
-see-through black fabric
-sand paper or dremel
-primer or gesso
Step 1: Clothing
-Wear all the black clothing: Pants, tshirt, black shoes, black socks, gloves, balaclava
- The blue spirit has forearm bands, biceps bands, a belt, and shin covers.
- If you can sew, just make tubes for the forearms and shins. If you can't, safety pins work as well.
Step 2: Mask: Assembly + Bondo
1. Take some cardboard and cut out the extra shapes for the blue spirit mask. it has 7 face/ head pieces: a V for eye brows, 2 eye sockets, 2 cheek pieces, and 2 fangs.
2. Once you have the cardboard pieces cut out, glue them all directly onto the mask. You may want to consider thickening the two cheeks and the crown on the head with 2 layers of cardboard instead of just 1 layer. (pic 1)
3. Cover the whole thing in bondo, Keep sanding and adding bondo until you get the right shape of everything. a dremel is very very helpful at this time. (pic 2)
Step 3: Mask: Primer and Paint + Fabric
1. Once completed, primer the entire mask. (pic 1)
2. Dry and paint the designated colors (pic 2)
1. Now, take your grey fabric and cut it into three strips. Glue two on the sides and one on the crown of the mask. Tie all three together (pic 3)
2. Now take your black see-through fabric and glue in sections for the eyes and mouth on the inside of the mask (pic 3)
3. You should be able to see and breathe out of the mask now (pic 4)
Step 4: Swords: Assembly + Bondo
Assembly (pic 1)
1. Draw the shape of the sword on a piece of construction paper and cut out.
2. Trace it on the wood and then cut it out. - Do this twice, as he uses dual swords.
3. With the extra wood, cut another handle and glue it on. This is to add support. - When you do this for the other sword, glue the handle piece on the Opposite side. This way, when you put them together, they fit as if they could be one sword.
4. Use the extra wood to make HALF a hand guard for each side and glue it in place. - Remember to do it on the opposite side for the other sword
Bondo (pic 2)
1. Bondo any gap in the hand guards
2. Bondo the handle
3. Create a bottom for the sword out of bondo. - I actually taped my swords together and sanded the bottom with the swords together. This way, it was fairly even when i would hold the 2 swords as 1.
Step 5: Sheath/ Scabbarb
1. Create a long rectangular box out of cardboard that will house the swords. the bottom of the sheath is rounded.
2. I took some dark fabric and put it around the top of the sheath for decoration.
3. Bondo and sand the ENTIRE sheath so that itís sturdy and smooth.
4. Primer and paint the sheath now.
5. Take some comic cardboard and create the metal details on the top and bottom of the sword. - i suggest spray painting this portion prior to gluing it in place.
6. Take your belt and attach it to the sword with split clips. I cut the belt in half so that it would be adjustable.
Step 6: Finished
That should be it! Take some pictures and enjoy!
* If you want, you can even paint your eye with some washable paint.. even lipstick to give it a burnt kind of look. If you really really want to go fancy, get some latex make up and dress it up.