Summer is round the corner, and itís time to stock cold beverages to chill us this summer. When cold and thirsty drink has almost become synonymous with store bought carbonated drinks, this summer letís quench our thirst with healthy homemade Falooda. Falooda, also called Paloodeh is a Persian origin dessert-drink. Traditionally, Falooda is rose flavored milk served with a combination of jelly, basil seeds and, a special type of arrowroot vermicelli. I prefer Falooda sans vermicelli. There are a lot of varieties and flavors in Falooda, but I am going to present my favorite version; it is a quick-fix drink that needs no cooking at all, except some preparation at least 2 hours in advance.
Falooda is the lifeline of people in south asian countries like India, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Middle East. It is an indispensable drink in southeast asian Islamic culture in summer, specially during their religious fast days. The milk and basil seed combo is best known to replenish the lost nutrients after a day-long fast. Basil seeds are intentionally included to combat heat related sicknesses such as hyperthermia and lethargy. Apart from the health benefits, addition of jelly and ice cream makes falooda a favorite summer drink to kids as well. Falooda will be an interesting intro into the western food-culture especially when summer is approaching.
Unlike asians, westerners celebrate summer. We welcome summer, enjoy the heat, and fondly tan our skins under hot sun. Although our frozen nerves crave to soothe itself in the heat of summer, still a cold and refreshing drink like Falooda in scorching summer is divine.
Step 1: ?Ingredients and Time Needed:
2 cups of Whole Milk
3 tablespoons of Dabur Rose Syrup
2 teaspoons of Tukmaria/Basil Seeds
1/2 pack of Strawberry Jelly crystals (store bought ready-made jelly can also be used)
2 scoops of Vanilla Ice cream
3 teaspoons of Sugar
Note: The items listed here are easily available in any Asian/Indian stores.
Total Time: 2 hours and 25 minutes
Preparatory Time: 2 hours 10 mins
Making Time: 15 minutes
Step 2: Accessory Needed:
1. A Blender with Pulse option in it.
2. 2 Drinking cups
Step 3: Preparatory steps:
1. Soak 2 teaspoons of Tumaria/Basil seeds in ½ cup of water. Let it soak for 30 mins. See Fig:3.a and Fig:3.b
2. Soak the almonds in ½ cup of water for 1 hour. Then peel off the skin and chop them to tiny chunks. See Fig:3.c, Fig:3.d, and Fig:3.e
3. Prepare jelly as per the packet instructions. Just ½ pack is sufficient for 2 cups of Falooda. The rest can be saved for later usage. See Fig:3.f
Note: The preparatory steps have to be done in advance. Soaking time for basil seeds and almonds, and jelly setting time should approximately take at least 2 hours.
Step 4: Making Process:
1. Add 2 cups of whole milk to the blender. See Fig:4.a
2. Add 3 tablespoons of Dabur Rose syrup to the milk in the blender. See Fig:4.b
3. Add 3 teaspoons of sugar or as per taste. See Fig:4.c
4. Hold the lid tight and press the pulse until the rose milk gains a frothy texture. See Fig:4.d
Step 5: Falooda layering/Presentation:
1. Add preferred quantity of strawberry jelly into the serving container. See Fig:5.a
2. Add two teaspoons of soaked tukmaria seeds. See Fig:5.b
3. Add chopped almonds. This gives the Falooda a crunchy texture. See Fig:5.c
4. Pour the frothy rose milk into the jelly, tumaria seeds and almond mixture. See Fig:5.d
5. Top the Falooda with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream. See Fig:5.e
6. Garnish with de-seeded and chopped pistachios(optional). I prefer Falooda without pistachios.
Note: The mixing from Fig:5.a to Fig:5.e should be done at the time of serving. If mixed earlier, the basil seeds tend to become sticky and form a cloggy layer on the top, and melted ice creams tend to suppress the rose flavor of the drink. The look and taste may differ, when mixed earlier.
Step 6: Serve the Creamy Crunchy Falooda.
Enjoy Falooda and rejuvenate your senses.