Homemade Almond Joy Ice Cream - dairy free, vegan, gluten free, cholesterol free, ice cream maker free
This recipe came out amazing. Frozen version of an almond joy. The ice cream is creamy and loaded with coconut so it has that dense coconut texture just like the candy bar and the chocolate hardens once it hits the cold ice cream to form a chocolate shell. Here is what you will need to make this yummy cold treat in your own kitchen, without an ice cream maker.
Ingredients - for two cups of ice cream
1 1/4 cup of almond and coconut blended milk
1/2 can of sweetened cream of coconut (can be found in the cocktail mixer section of your grocery store)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup sugar in the raw (unrefined sugar or vegan sugar)
2 tablespoons corn starch
slivered or whole plain almonds
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 table spoon coconut oil
1. Mix two table spoons of corn starch with 1/4 cup of almond/coconut blend milk. Set aside.
2. On medium/high heat combine one cup of almond/coconut blend milk and 1/4 cup sugar. Bring to a boil, this will be ample time for the sugar to melt. Remove from heat and add the corn starch almond/coconut milk mixture. Let cool completely.
3. In a mixing bowl or with a hand held mixer whip half a can of cream of coconut until its white and forms stiff peaks.
4. Add the cooled almond/coconut mixture to the whipped cream of coconut and mix well. Incorporate the shredded coconut flakes into the mixture and transfer to a freezer safe container. Freeze overnight.
5. Chocolate sauce: In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil until silky smooth. Keep at room temperature so it does not harden. It will harden once it comes into contact with cold temperatures.
6. Top the ice cream with almonds and ENJOY!